Placement Title: Project and Outreach Assistant with Basis Yorkshire
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Basis Yorkshire
Basis Yorkshire is a Leeds based charity (reg. no 1120350) providing support, advocacy and information to women who are involved in, or wishing to exit, sex work and offers prevention and support work to young people ‘at risk’ of or experiencing child sexual exploitation (CSE). We also have a project supporting women who experienced historic CSE. We aim to improve the health, safety and well-being of all our service users. Elements of our services are commissioned via the NHS, Leeds City Council and more widely our work is supported by a range of charitable grants and fundraising.
Through our Basis Sex Work Project, we aim to reduce the barriers that sex-working women experience in accessing services due to stigma and prejudice. We run a drop-in service offering food parcels, clothing, housing advice and STI testing. We encourage women to report violence via our ‘ugly mug’ scheme and act as a specific point of contact for intelligence given to us by young people about perpetrators.
Through our Basis Young People project, we provide a specialist service for young people at risk of and experiencing CSE. These young people are marginalized and present with complex needs including bullying, social isolation, poverty, running away, truancy, sexual abuse, sexual health issues, trafficking and violence. We work on a one-to-one basis with 20 girls at any one time and also deliver awareness raising sessions within schools covering grooming and internet safety to around 800 young people per year.
Our Basis Historic CSE project support women aged over 18 who experienced CSE as a child. Our vision is to empower women who access the service to have their voices heard and enable them to access a range of support based on individual needs and wishes.
Basis Training and Education is the training arm of Basis Yorkshire and via this social enterprise we deliver a wide range of training packages focused on CSE, sex work and other social issues
About the opportunity
This placement provides an opportunity for an undergraduate student to gain knowledge and experience of working within a vibrant third sector charity working with socially excluded groups. The opportunity will allow you to bring forward your own individual skills to continue empowering women and girls.
We are looking for a Project and Outreach Assistant. The duties that the placement would undertake involve include;
- [Research activities: where appropriate the student will be involved in the delivery of research and evaluation projects including research design, data collection; data input; analysis; writing reports; presentations.
- Direct support with service users by: supporting staff on street outreach, assisting with weekly drop in sessions, assisting with the lionesses group (a moving on group for ex-service users, under 18 years of age, who are now at low or no risk of exploitation)
- Directing/assisting with fundraising/awareness projects
- Communicating with local/national businesses to organise donations
- Understanding (through literature, reports, in-house documents and policies and processes) CSE, the client work; the sex industries; and the service and support options.
- Attending workshops, training, academic events and shadowing meetings as appropriate.
- Social media and marketing including writing the Basis Yorkshire newsletter, designing leaflets and other publicity, managing social media accounts and updating the websites, maintaining a strong Twitter presence
- Ensuring that stock levels for outreach and condoms are maintained
- Filing, photocopying, faxing, sorting, distributing, collating, retrieving documents and information
- Answering incoming telephone calls, making calls and relaying information
- Use of a computer for various tasks which might include some or all of the following dependent on proficiency: data input, maintaining a database, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, design work – creating posters to display information/statistics in an accessible manner
What we are looking for?
- Good communication and organisational skills
- A non-judgmental attitude to our client groups, a commitment to the mission statement and values of Basis Yorkshire
- Ability to empathise and communicate confidently with a diverse range of women and girls (all ages, backgrounds, situations, personalities)
- Clear and polite telephone manner
- IT skills including use of the Microsoft office suite (Microsoft Word/Excel/ PowerPoint/Access)
- Research methods knowledge
- Interest in gender / sexuality /health studies/ criminal justice and social policy at an academic level.
- Good numeracy skills
- Ability to work on own initiative – using your own knowledge and skills to benefit the organisation
- Creativity and independence in projects
- Commitment to high standards and providing a quality service
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of team to achieve common goals – ability to deal with the ad-hoc nature of our work and the complex needs of our service users
- A responsible & reliable person
- This is an unpaid position but a small stipend of £10 a day to cover transport and lunch will be provided each month
- This post is a 24 hours a week (3 x 8 hour days). Some evening work may be required. The hours are flexible so can accommodate other commitments, which includes the start date.
- The placement fulfils the requirements for the Year in Industry placement of a minimum 1200 hours (9 months), over a 12 month period
- A full DBS Check (formerly CRB check) will be required before the placement can commence work with the service users.
- Supervision: The student placement will be supervised by the CEO and/or Project Coordinator.
- Applicants must be in their second year of study and must provide a CV and cover letter to apply.
Basis Yorkshire Contacts:
94 North Street
Leeds LS2 7PN
Office telephone: 0113 243 0036
For any queries, please contact: email@example.com