Basis Sex Work Project is a sex work support project for women (including transgender women) working in the sex industry who live or work in Leeds
We provide non-judgmental, free and confidential info & support for workers in all sectors of the sex industry and adult entertainment including independent and agency escorts (whether you work from flats/apartments/hotels), parlour/sauna workers, pro doms, webcammers and others providing adult services.
We provide information and support on:
- Sexual health and free safer sex supplies: We offer free sexual heath supplies including condoms (in packs of 30), lubricant, dams, gloves, and sponges. We also can supply a wide range of Pasante condoms that you can purchase as bulk packs. Download our pricelist for condoms here. You can condoms up from the Basis office, or arrange for them to be delivered to your home or place of work
- Sexual health & screening/tests for STI’S: we have lots of options for screening for you to choose from we can;
*Provide Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea self-testing kits and bring out Chlamydia treatment to you.
*Book you a sex worker only appointments at Leeds Sexual Health Clinic at either 1.30pm or 4.30pm every week day. .
*Book you in with the sexual health nurse that can come out with us to visit you on either Wednesday or Friday, offering more testing like throat swabs and bloods and Hep B vaccinations. Note we also offer a range of contraception including the Depo injection, contraceptive pills and the implant (and removal).
You can now use a small business card with a picture of a red umbrella on to discreetly identify yourself as a sex worker. Show this card to the reception at the sexual health clinic, and they will offer you a fast track service and a wider range of tests and services not available to the general public including throat swabs and Hep B vaccinations. We can give you a Red Umbrella Card or you can download this from the Leeds Sexual Health website contact Emily on 07710304306 for further information about how to get your card. The sexual health clinic is located in the Merrion Centre - more information about opening times is on the website. You can attend a drop in or there are two daily appointments reserved for sex workers (booked).
- The law and your rights
- Personal safety , Ugly Mugs & reporting to the police
- Health and Wellbeing Support
- Sex worker forums, community voice and other initiatives
- Advice and support (welfare, benefits & housing)
- Specialist services for migrant sex workers
- Support if you are, or have, experienced sexual assault, rape, and domestic abuse: Basis have a Specialist Independent Sexual & Domestic Violence Advisor (ISVA/IDVA) for sex workers, her name is Taylor. This worker can help you understand you’re rights and options, provide emotional support, practical support with helping you access services appropriate to your needs and can link in with the police – if you choose to report. She will of course still support you if if you don’t choose to report. We recognise women who access our service are a diverse group with different experiences and for those who experience violence this has different impacts and people deal with this in different ways. We are committed to supporting people on the basis of their individual needs and wishes. Contact Taylor by text, What’sApp or calling 07495516926 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting in touch
There are a number of ways that you can get in touch with us for support.
- Call, text, WhatsApp or email our Sex Work Outreach Worker (Emily): 07710 304 306 email@example.com
- Call the office: on 0113 243 0036 (9am-5pm Monday to Wednesday)
Outreach, Netreach, Drop in & Live Chat
- We can visit you at your place of work, home or meet you at a location where you are comfortable and which is convenient for you
- For over 3 years Basis has been carrying out netreach to let women who advertise and/or work online know about our services should they ever wish to access them. Working through some of the main online advertising platforms we send an introductory private message to people who are working in Leeds when we see a new profile and sometimes we do extra messages if there is a new service development which might be of interest to people working in the sector.
- You can come to our special drop in for indie’s, agency escorts & sauna workers on Monday afternoon’s between 1pm and 4pm at our base 94 North Street, Leeds, LS27PN. This is a space to meet other ladies to share advice, chat, support others, whether you are new to sex work or an old hand! Pick up some free supplies, have a test, form an alliance/campaign group, pamper yourselves or ask that question you’ve been meaning to ask for ages! This will be a safe space to come chat, meet new people and have coffee and cake. You can run sessions of your own too! Just ask!
- Of course your welcome to contact us and arrange to drop in at a time that suits you if you want to pick u condom supplies or chat with a worker.
- You can cat with us confidentially online via our live chat 1.30-5.30 Tuesdays just click on the ‘Chat with us icon’ on the bottom left hand corner of this web page. You can leave a message there when we are not live and we’ll get back to you.
We have been providing confidential info and support services to women working in the sex industry in Leeds for over twenty years and are very much committed to providing rights based, person centered info and services. We respect the diversity of people working in the sex industry and the sex industry itself. We are aware that some people choose to access services others do not, but we are always here if you need us. Basis is committed to sex worker involvement in service development and delivery so if you want to get involved and help us by volunteering or supporting ongoing sex worker community initiatives please do get in touch.