Basis Sex Work Project is a sex work support project for cis, trans and non-binary women working in the sex industry who live or work in Leeds
We provide non-judgmental, free and confidential info & support for workers in all sectors of the sex industry and adult entertainment industry including independent and agency escorts (whether you work from flats/apartments/hotels), sauna workers, pro doms, webcammers and others providing adult services.
What supplies can I access through Basis?
We offer free sexual heath supplies including a range of EXS and Pasante condoms (in packs of 30), lubricant, dams, gloves, and sponges. We can also supply a range of condoms to purchase as bulk packs (144 condoms). Download our condom pricelist here. You can pick condoms up from the Basis office, or arrange for them to be delivered to your home or place of work.
What tests & services can I access through Basis?
- 3 site testing swab (mouth, vagina and rectum) – these test for Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and Trichomonas Vaginalis (TV)
- A vaginal swab to test for BV if you have symptoms
- Blood test that screens for for HIV, syphilis, Hep B & C
- Hep B Vaccinations and MMR vaccinations for certain groups
- Contraception including pills, implants (put in and taken out/replaced), injections, patches and coil advice
- Some treatment can be given on outreach including chlamydia, TV, BV, and Herpes and other treatments can be arranged
- A range of other sexual health advice
How can I access screening, contraception & treatment?
We can come to your home/place of work or other convenient place. No waiting in queues and seeing different staff – it will always be the same Basis worker & the same nurse from Leeds Sexual Health, and we understand the need for discretion and confidentiality. This option will also allow you to get free supplies, including condoms, lube and sponges, and newsletters with up-to-date info and Ugly Mugs alerts. Full screening options are available on an outreach visit. These are usually on a Wednesday. All you need to do is get in touch with Emily on 07710304306 to arrange a visit. You can also get just your swabs done with Emily on other days of the week.
On alternative Mondays & Wednesdays we have a drop-in clinic at Basis, 94 North Street, 1-4pm. At the Wednesday clinic smear testing is available by the nurse Vicky. You can also get all screening, contraception and some treatments at drop-in.
Easy access to Leeds Sexual Health Clinic:
Dedicated Appointments: There are 2 dedicated appointment slots for sex workers at Leeds Sexual Health every day at 1:30pm and 2:30pm, so you can book into the clinic more easily. Call Emily at Basis to book.
Red Umbrella Card: The red umbrella card can be shown at Leeds Sexual Health reception (or you can just say ‘red umbrella’). This identifies you as a sex worker discreetly, meaning no tricky questions and you will be fast tracked. Please note that fast track means you will be put next on the list to be seen, but may still have to wait up to 1 hour. You can get a red umbrella card from Emily at Basis or download this from the Leeds Sexual Health website. The sexual health clinic is located in the Merrion Centre. More information about opening times can be found on their website.
For any questions regarding sexual health, to make an appointment, to get a red umbrella card or find out drop-in times please call or text Emily on 07710304306.
Getting in touch
- Call, text, WhatsApp or email our Sex Work Outreach Worker Emily:
- Call or email the office (10am-3pm Monday to Thursday):
- Contact us through our Facebook page
Net Reach, Drop-in & Live Chat
- For over 3 years Basis has been carrying out net reach to let women who advertise and/or work online know about our services, should they ever wish to access them. We have profiles on some of the main online advertising platforms and sometimes for research purposes, to help with service development, will message people. We have a thread on SAAFE forum which we update regularly.
- You are welcome to contact us to arrange to drop in the office at a time that suits you, if you want to pick up condom supplies or chat with a worker.
- You can chat with us confidentially online via our live chat Tuesdays 1:30-5:30. Just click on the ‘Chat with us’ icon on the bottom right hand corner of this webpage. You can leave a message there when we are not live and we’ll get back to you.
Monthly Indoor Sex Worker Evening Meet-ups:
This meet-up is for indoor based sex workers, cam girls, independent escorts, agency girls, and women working in the adult film industry. It’s held on an evening, the first week of the month. This is a sex worker-led group, intending to be a safe space where conversations can be had, questions asked, peer links and friendships made, and peer support offered. This group is also an opportunity to share your best safety and privacy tips , support each other, swap stories in a safe, non-judgmental space, and meet like-minded folk.If you are a new worker, or you’ve been doing it a while and feel you can help others, please consider coming. Remember, this is a sex worker-led group. Your space, your group. Emily will just be opening up & providing the cake! Contact her for more details.
We have been providing confidential info and support services to women working in the sex industry in Leeds for over twenty years and are very much committed to providing rights-based, person-centered info and services. We respect the diversity of the sex industry and the people working in it. We are aware that some people choose to access services others do not, but we are always here if you need us. Basis is committed to sex worker involvement in service development and delivery, so if you want to get involved and help us by volunteering or supporting ongoing sex worker community initiatives please do get in touch. Click here to find out more about how you can support Basis.