We are always so grateful for the support we receive, and there are lots of ways you can support us! Find out how you can help us at Basis to continue to deliver our services across Leeds.
In addition to donating funds via JustGiving, directly via Direct Debit, or through in kind donations (food, clothes etc.) through our Amazon Wishlist or otherwise, there are many other ways you can help us such as:
- Volunteering (including being a Trustee)
- Corporate Giving
- Legacy Giving
buys two food parcels
pays for one evening outreach session
You can currently support us through donations, fundraising and/or sharing our messages
Volunteering opportunities at Basis include:
- Drop-in-support (Every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon 1-4) for Basis (Adult Women) – currently needed
- Outreach support: (Mon, Wed and Fri evenings/night) for Basis Sex Work – currently not needed
How to apply:
1. Please read our Basis Volunteer Expectations and Agreements page before applying
2. Fill out our Volunteer Application Form and send it to email@example.com
- Back office support: Admin tasks, answering the phone, updating spreadsheets, packing condoms, fundraising and so on (Mon- Thu usual office hours) – currently not needed
- Young People: Supporting ex-service user group (Lionesses) evening fortnightly – currently not needed
What do current volunteers say?
Many of our volunteers stay with us for a large number of years and find it very rewarding. Here are some quotes from our current volunteers
“I have been volunteering at Basis for over two years now. It’s nice to be able to help women out be that by being a friendly ear or just by making a hot chocolate on a cold December night. I’ve met a lot of lovely women doing outreach, I feel like I am making a difference and I enjoy being part of Basis and working alongside women who are working for a greater good – through education and awareness raising and helping women when they need it. I feel valued working in such a lovely team and all the staff and volunteers are great to get along with. Doing outreach makes me appreciate my own situation and the opportunities I have to try and help others. During my time at Basis, I have also done some fundraising by taking part in Leeds triathlon (both in a team and on my own) to raise funds for this brilliant cause!“
“One of the things I love about volunteering is that no matter what women are going through on the street, they can come on to the van and be treated with compassion and respect. One night when I was on outreach, a woman came on the van feeling really fed up and upset, by the time she left the van she was laughing and smiling; this makes volunteering really worthwhile.”
Why not watch this short video about volunteering at Basis?
Take part in an Event
If you are thinking of running a marathon, climbing a mountain, a dryathon or holding a bake sale at the office – why not support Basis Yorkshire at the same time?
Set up a JustGiving page and start raising money! If you need any help setting up your JustGiving page – just get in touch. We’re also happy to help with any information or leaflets and if you let us know we’ll even share your progress through social media.
As a staff team, we usually do a few events of our own, we previously participated in both the Yorkshire three peaks and the Triathlon in York. We would love to hear about the events that you get involved in!
As a small, locally based charity, we have an excellent reputation in delivery high quality, innovative interventions, addressing extremely challenging, sensitive issues and advocating for the needs of our services users, locally and nationally.
If you are interested in becoming involved with Basis’s work either by making us your Charity of the Year, offering opportunities for staff, taking part in one of our fundraising events or by simply wanting to make a one-off monetary or in-kind donation, we’d be happy to talk to you about how your support would help us and talk through ideas of what this could look like. We’re always happy to come and talk about our work.
Why not get in touch?
Becoming a Trustee
Basis Yorkshire are looking to continue building their board of trustees to help to improve the lives of the people we work with.
There are two streams to our work:
- Basis supports indoor and street sex workers who identify as women and sex workers at risk of gender-based violence.
- Basis supports young people of all genders and adult women who are at risk of, are being, or have been sexually exploited.
Our purpose is to support people to feel empowered by offering information, support, and options. Our work is driven by a sound evidence base, and we ensure our services are designed and delivered by the women and young people we support by putting their voices and experience at the centre of everything we do. We challenge stigma and inequality of access to services for everyone we work with.
We are looking for passionate people to join our board who have with an interest in the development and success of Basis Yorkshire.
- We’re particularly keen to hear from Black and racially minoritised people and others whose intersecting experiences reflect those of the women and young people we work with.
- We are also keen to recruit someone with a experience in finance or accountancy to oversee the charity accounts and inform strategic decision making.
To find out more please download our Trustee Information Pack.
For further information or an informal chat please contact our Chair Sarah Martin c/o Basis Office manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply please send the Expression of Interest form to email@example.com
Informal interviews will take place as applications are received and successful candidates will be invited to observe the next board meeting.